Thursday, April 22, 2010

project funway.

Today I made a dress. Actually, scratch that. Today, I finished making a dress.

I should probably start at the beginning, though.

I went to the Jewett City flea market a few weeks ago and well, I was like a kid in a candy store. The place is PHENOMENAL.

Although I could digress for days and days about the endless treasures that you are SURE to find, should you visit the good old town of Jewett City, but I won't. The point is: I bought fabric from the Fabric Lady. I probably got a total of fifteen yards, for approximately thirteen dollars. Good stuff too: retro prints, beach-y stripes, thick fabrics for re-upholstering. A dressmaker's (or someone hoping to gain that title, like little 'ole me) PARADISE.

So, come Monday morning, there I sat, in front of my sewing machine, with a few spools of thread, a racing mind (full of ideas that my hands could not comprehend) and some AMAZING fabric...






Tim Gunn and Heidi Klum would be proud (I hope). Look at what my [rather uncoordinated] hands produced!

I mean, I know it didn't take an expert to sew this, but I am pretty damn happy with the results. And I will be wearing it as soon as possible.

So, I'd like to send out some thank yous here, for aiding in my creativity. First, and foremost, THE FABRIC LADY (duh), Jeanette Holliday and Victoria Mueller (for introducing me to the flea market. this is both a good thing and a VERY bad thing) and my wonderful husband for making this all possible, by supplying me with a sewing machine! I guess I could also thank the state of Connecticut for providing me with the ten dollars needed for buying all the fabric and thread from said, fabric lady, as well. So, thanks Jodi Rell.

2 comments:

  1. I believe 2 more thanks are in order here: your mother (and sister) for teaching you how to sew. I am dissappointed in you for forgetting these key people that deserve a little kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. KUDOS to you, my dear sister, for teaching me to sew. Along with my wonderful MAMA.

    ReplyDelete