Tuesday, March 8, 2011

[HOH Celebrates]: International Women's Day



"International Women's Day is a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future."


I heard through the grapevine that today is International Women's Day! Hurrah! Go women! Naturally, I fired up Google and what do I see? One of those special graphics they do when something (usually obscure but also) important is being celebrated that day. Yay! Here it is:



This makes it official! International Women's Day is a real thing! Yayyy women!

Anyway, obviously this all made me think of the Spice Girls - the originators of Girl Power! Remember them?! Their movie was totally boss - you know it's true. The Spice Girls had a little something for everyone - sexy, smart, fun to be around, fashionable, creative... the list goes on. I'm sure there are some who view them as over-sexed, inappropriately dressed temptresses of song, but having been a few years too old to be an intended target of the 'Spice Girls Marketing Machine', I feel like I can appreciate what they were trying to do - spread the Girl Power spirit! How can that really be a bad thing? So, on this International Women's Day, I salute you - Sporty, Baby, Scary, Posh, and Ginger - thanks for making the world just a little bit better.



No comments:

Post a Comment