Tuesday, March 15, 2011

[HOH Recipe Box]: Homemade Ravioli

When I was a kid we had a big sunday dinner, no fail, every week. It was generally at what we, Americans [pronounced by my grandmother as MED-I-GAANS], would consider lunchtime; we all sat down to a big, carb-filled, pasta and buttered-bread meal.

As an adult, I've tried to keep this tradition alive, however not always successfully. This past Sunday, though, I made it happen. Early in the day, I resolved to make homemade ravioli and although, around mid-day, my motivation level took a drastic turn for the worse, I pushed through; I made the darn ravioli. And I enjoyed it. It was therapeutic and deliciously rewarding.

I started with the sauce. Here, I've sauteed shallots and garlic. And I added chopped carrots for a little sweetness.


Once I added the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and a few secret ingredients, I let the sauce simmer.

And on to the ravioli...















A couple of years ago, my grandmother gave me her vintage pasta maker. The box is barely holding together, but man, it has personality and holds all of the glory from its heyday.





















She even included a handwritten note that includes a recipe and instructions.





















So I followed her recipe.





















And I cut my dough into tennis-ball sized pieces. And I ran it through this amazing piece of metal...





















(please take note of these awful counters that will soon be replaced!)

And I whipped up the insides, sauteed spinach and LOADS of garlic, mixed with ricotta and a little ground beef for my [VERY] meat-driven husband.





















And then, I made the ravioli.





















And slowly [but surely], the pile grew.





















And later in the day, the sauce had simmered long enough, the ravioli were boiled and we stuffed our faces, like we [rightfully] should.

I have some tips [since there's really no recipe here]:

- Be creative. Stuff those suckers with whatever you feel like feasting on! There are no boundaries.
- Roll the dough thin, but not TOO thin.
- Squeeze together those edges like your life depends on it.
- Boil until they float at the top.
- Bring your appetite!!!
- If at all possible, spread Kate's Butter on the bread with which you eat them.

And lastly, make some spaghetti with your leftover dough!

1 comment:

  1. OH Dena, Nana is so proud of you and smiling from heaven right now....

    ReplyDelete