Tuesday, April 19, 2011

[House Favorite]: Three.

Victoria

I've mentioned before my philosophy on buying art for your house: when you see something and just have to have it, you totally should. Two years ago we were visiting my bestest buddy in Boston when she and I stumbled into the sale section at Urban Outfitters. I saw this print, and there was no turning back.


It spoke to me. There was no hesitation - Will Tim like it? WHO CARES. Price tag? Doesn't matter. It was absolutely, positively love at first sight.

I choose this as my 3rd favorite item in my house not only as an homage to my long, sordid history with Moby Dick [dating back to a tyrannical High School English teacher], but mostly because I have such a fond memory of the day I bought it and the way I felt bringing it home - like it belonged. It's modern but classic too, and with a touch of whimsy that entices me to just stare at it a little longer, even to this day.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Dena


My open shelving.

Last winter, I had a lot of time on my hands. And, I took it upon myself to drive down to Ikea, purchase shelves and install them. I was determined to have it completed before my husband got home from work one day. I had to do it alone because he would have dragged his feet and we probably wouldn't have lasted the night. These shelves are HEAVY [not sure why that is reason to do it alone, but what I do know is that the last time we put something together, side by side, it ended in tears]. If he knew what I was up to, he would have thought I was crazy. And, I wouldn't have disagreed. I was completely nuts.

This ended in a lot of tears anyway. There were tears in the beginning, the middle and the end, in fact. But, after a lot of tears, annoying grunts and yells, a cool-down walk with the dogs and many, MANY unnecessary holes in the wall, I am happy to say that I love my open shelving. It's brighter and more modern and I'm able to display my love for interesting glassware.


love.

Stay tuned for more kitchen makeover photos. I had my hands deep in paint this past weekend and I have some fabulous photos to show for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment