Wednesday, April 13, 2011

[House Favorite]: Four.

Dena:

Here is my numero cuatro.

Sure, it's a simple white chandelier. But oh, my dearies, it's way more than that. You see, when we moved into our house, it was sage green and hung above our dining room table. It wasn't ugly, but it wasn't anything more than ordinary, either. 

I didn't want it hanging over the dining room table. BUT, I was certain I could find a purpose for it. So, one troublesome removal later [a snapped cord, a shattered dining room table - no one ever said I wasn't a total CLUTZ], and it was no longer attached to the ceiling. One can of white spray paint later, it had a new identity. And with a little creativity and imagination, it has a new home:

above my couch.


Once a drab dining room chandelier, now a gleaming FOCAL POINT.


Victoria:


Tim and I have this wood stove. He bought it from some guy on Craigslist for $200, without my knowledge and came home assuring me it was awesome. It is a 1977 Vermont Casting, which I guess means it's pretty serious stuff. I mostly just like the way it looks. [Not to mention it provides me with yet another showcase for decorating pieces - note totally rockin lounging mermaid on top].


Sometimes, dealing with the wood stove is a huge pain in the ass. You have to make sure the intake is clear, build your fire exactly the right way [which, by the by, I have become the expert at], constantly clean up the ashy mess it inevitably creates, blah blah blah. Plus, our wood pile is in the backyard, and is just far enough away to make it hellish to have to go out there and replenish our indoor supply [which we keep handy in this primo box I bought at the Jewett City Flea Market for $20!]


But there have been a few choice moments where I've found myself lounging on the couch, cat Bella curled up on my lap, puppy Levi passed out in front of us, happy husband snoozing next to me and the roar of the wood stove keeping us nice and warm as the unsavory weather blows outside. Overall, not a bad gig if you can get it.



No comments:

Post a Comment